How should I go about doing 6 tapes of editing?

Items not falling into any other specific category

Moderator: sjj1805

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:32 am

nutsnbolts wrote:Hehehe, not to be redundant. Maybe it will save with tons of questions.

My goal:

Create a DVD (doesn't matter how many it takes but the less the better. On the other hand, I essentially only wanted 1 DVD, take the best of the best footage and have 1 DVD of the Italy trip, that's why I prefer to know how long 1 DVD can fill and work with that constraint).

On the DVD, an entire movie that is edited that basically shows a summary of our trip to Italy. (6 tapes organized into 1 video, taking all the garbage out)

If a person wants to see specific parts (chapter), they can then go to scene selection and choose, Rome or Pisa, or, etc.

However, when they click play on the DVD, it's our trip. While watching the entire DVD through "play" it's like an entire movie, it will show Rome our first day, then transition to our ride from Rome to Florence, then transition to what we did in Florence...

A general workflow....timeline of events on what we did.

Obviously, as stated above, if someone wanted to see what Pisa is about, they can skip scene to Pisa and there u go...

So far, does everything we stated is correct?

Once again, SJ1805, Thank you very much for your patience.

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:33 am

nutsnbolts wrote:My goal:

Create a DVD (doesn't matter how many it takes but the less the better. On the other hand, I essentially only wanted 1 DVD, take the best of the best footage and have 1 DVD of the Italy trip, that's why I prefer to know how long 1 DVD can fill and work with that constraint).
Please view:
http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtopic. ... 6707#56707

Thumbnails on a DVD Menu can point to either
1. Complete videos
2. Chapters.

You also have a "Play All" Button that plays everything on the DVD.

Chapters are where you have a particularly lengthy video and so you enable you viewer to jump directly to a certain spot in that video.
Play will continue from that point until you reach the end of that video, not the end of that chapter.

By having seperate videos of specific locations such as Pisa, your viewer can watch just "Pisa" and then return back to the DVD Menu.

Perhaps your video of Rome has certain items of interest such as the coleseum, the Parthanon, the Trevi Fountain. These could be Chapters within the Rome video. If a user jumps straight to the Parthenon play will continue from that point until all of whatever remains of the Rome Video has been viewed and not simply the chapter relating to the Parthenon.

You have to decide at the editing stage how you intend to handle the Authoring stage. Seperate 'mini videos' so the user can spring back to the DVD Menu, or longer videos but with chapters.

Administrator
Site Admin

nutsnbolts wrote:Well...

I'm trying to make it simple. And that I mean separating it by locations.

Rome
Pisa
Florence

A user can't choose to specifically a specific part of Rome, or just the leaning tower. The footage on those are short anyway.

At most, they can choose which location they want to see. Having the versatility of creating chapter to point specific things...that is I'm presuming, an authoring thing. But in my case, I don't want to bookmark every "monument" in a specific video like Rome.

I want to bring the video over to a friends house and say, here watch our Italy trip. His wife may say, ooh, I want to see what you guys did in Venice, and have the ability to go to "scene selection" and choose Venice.

That's it.

Now you told me to create each location and save to each .dvp.

Rome.dvp
Pisa.dvp
Florence.dvp
etc.dvp

Once I'm complete with everything and I start to author, I can see how the authoring will create scene selections because I have it seperate files.

How about authoring knowing that each movie is really a continuation to the next to the next? In the order I listed above let's say.

Administrator
Site Admin

You are doing it correctly splitting the video up into 3 smaller videos.
You then during the authoring stage further sub-divide those smaller videos into chapters.

So you get
Rome chapter 01 (Vatican)
Rome chapter 02 (Coleseum)
Rome chapter 03 (Parthanon)
Rome chapter 10 (Trevi Fountain)

Pisa chapter 01 (markets area)
Pisa chapter 02 (Leaning Tower)
Pisa chapter 03 (Monuments)
Pisa chapter 04 (cafe's-shops etc)

Now using this method a user can view just Rome and then return to the DVD Menu.

The User can start watching Rome from the Colesum onwards and return to the DVD Menu

Alternatively the user can watch Rome and then immediately start watching Pisa without going back to the DVD Menu.

A user cannot watch \"The leaning Tower\" and return to the DVD Menu without viewing the rest of the Pisa video - Monuments and Cafe's-shops etc.

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:34 am

nutsnbolts wrote:I see.

When I start to author, the authoring will allow me to put the .dvp files in order. Then I can actually tell it to split per file (locations) and even further per monuments if need be within each file.

Ok, going to finish a couple .dvp files and try to author just two as if these are the only two I'm doing. Maybe if I play with it, then I can get a better idea.

Quick question 4:3...16:9 I should be doing my renders in 4:3

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:34 am

Depends on how you filmed them.
Most Digital camcorders enable you to film in 4.3 or film in 16.9

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:35 am

nutsnbolts wrote:Any links or information for rendering?

When to use .wmv, .mpg, .avi, etc.

I know avi is huge, mpg is huge, wmv is smaller depending on the settings.

I just need information as to what settings I should be using when i start to render completed project/s.

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:35 am

You should wherever possible capture and edit in DV type 1 AVI
You then render to DVD compliant MPEG2 if you are going to place the videos onto a standard DVD video disk for it to play in a standalone DVD player.

Other formats exist such as WMV / MPEG4 / Xvid / DivX and others.
These are for things like placing the video into a web page. Sharing a video over the internet. Placing your video into an Ipod player. Using the video in a Powerpoint presentation. All of these things would use one of these other formats.