Problems burning a DVD

Items not falling into any other specific category

Moderator: sjj1805

Administrator
Site Admin

Problems burning a DVD

Post by Administrator » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:39 pm

Problems burning a DVD

From my own experience (I have a 16x burner and use 8x discs.) I have found that burning at speeds higher than 4x produces a DVD that is unreliable. The same disc will
Play correctly in some standalone DVD players
Play erratically in othrs
Refuse to play in yet others.

Never seem to have a problem though if I burn at 4x (or less)

Other issues that need to be taken into account when finding that a DVD will not play back correctly on a standalone DVD Player include:

Not all Standalone DVD Players are compatible with 'Home Made' discs.
Check to see the formats accepted by the DVD Player. the list will read something like DVD, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, SVCD, VCD and JPEG picture CD compatible.

Check the DVD Player Compatibility List to know what disk might be suitable for your DVD player. And check the DVD Writer List to know what disk might be suitable for your burner.

Check the surface of the disc for errors - move it about so that you can see the reflection of the disc surface. I purchase my discs a few hundred at a time and every now and then you get a few faulty ones within a batch.

Check the firmware of your DVD Burner:
Recently my DVD burner Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1653S developed a fault (a foreign object found its way inside) and so I had to go out a buy a new one. Went to a famous nationwide High Street Store. I bought the same make of DVD Burner and same specifications but the model number had changed Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P6S.

First couple of disks I tried to burn failed. I checked the manufacturers website and lo and behold there was updated firmware for this brand new DVD writer. Updated the firmware and .... problem solved.

Disable any packet writing software.
One of the favourite causes of a failure to burn problem is the existence of \"Packet Writing Software\" on your machine. Packet Writing Software enables you to use the CD/DVD drive in much the same way as a regular hard drive where you can \"drag and drop\" using windows Explorer.
Popular packet Writing Software includes
  • Nero InCd
  • Roxio Drag to Disc
  • Ulead Data-Add 2.0
  • Sonic DLA IBM DLA and Veritas DLA software
  • CE Quadrat Just!Burn
  • File CD (Part of CD-Maker Pro)
  • Sony abCD