From Camcorder to DVD with Video Studio - Editing Phase.

VideoStudio

Moderator: sjj1805

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:49 pm

Topic Placeholder Export to Mobile Device

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:50 pm

Topic Placeholder Project Playback

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:50 pm

Topic Placeholder DV Recording

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:51 pm

Topic Placeholder Share Video Online

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:52 pm

Ripple Editing

\"To move or not to move, that is the question!\"

A lot of users get confused by the term ripple editing and so I hope to explain this with the aid of a few screen shots. To enable/disable ripple editing you firstly click the small down arrow below the Video Track. You can do this in any of the 3 available modes

Storyboard view

Timeline view

Audio view

Though I would suggest that ripple editing is most effective whilst working in Timeline View.

To enable/alter ripple editing firstly click either the down arrow:

Or the ripple editing icon

Clicking on [Enable Ripple Editing] toggles between enabled/disabled.
Using the list method a tick appears when it is enabled. You can also tick the tracks in the list that you wish to be 'enabled'

When enabled you can also enable/disable individual tracks by clicking the small chain symbol in the box alongside the track concerned.

The purpose of ripple editing is to align items on the various tracks.
Imagine you have just completed some lengthy editing and have carefully lined up some new background music and/or titles for your new video.

You then realise that either you've missed a scene out that needs to be inserted somewhere in the middle of all this editing, or perhaps you've had second thoughts about a scene and decided it needs to be cut out.

Without ripple editing you would now have a small nightmare having to re-adjust the positions all of those carefully placed additional tracks.

Let us imagine a piece of the main video track is cut out. There can be no gaps on the main video track and so everything to the right moves left and closes the gap - rather like the hole that is left when you pull your hand out of a bucket of water.

With ripple editing enabled, those tracks that are locked to the main video track also move left. Tracks that are not locked will remain where they are. With ripple editing disabled the various overlay and audio tracks do not move.

To explain this with pictures.

Firstly here is our sample timeline:

I have created 3 scenes on the Main Video Track
One overlay that commences in line with the start of scene 3
Three titles (To identify each of the 3 scenes)
Two audio samples, one in the middle of scene 2, the other in line with the start of scene 3. The audio samples are on seperate audio tracks.

With ripple editing disabled I am now going to remove scene 2.

Notice how the gap closed on the main video track but everything else remained in place.

Lets undo that and start again

This time we will enable ripple editing and select all of the tracks then again remove scene 2.

Here I am given a warning because the first audio sample will be deleted along with scene 2. If I choose to continue we see the following

You can now see that the tracks previously aligned with scene 3 have also moved left with scene 3 and remain aligned to it.

This time we will deselect the title track and then delete scene 2.

You can now see that the titles have not moved and that title 3 remains in its original location.

This time we will enable ripple editing to all of the tracks and insert a new scene

Notice how everything moved to the right to make room for the new scene.

This time we will again turn off ripple editing for the title track and see what happens

Notice how the titles remain in place but the audio has moved to the right remaining aligned with the main video track.