32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: 2-90 gigahertz Intel Core i5 4460S
ram: 8 GB
video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 705
sound card: P40D100-4 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 8 TB

DVDWS: Create a Playlist

Post by sjj1805 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:32 pm

DVD Workshop contains a powerful playlist function.
In fact this is the function that separates DVD Workshop from other Ulead authoring software such as VideoStudio and DVD MovieFactory.

Whilst you can create a DVD Menu from scratch using PhotoImpact and then importing that menu into VideoStudio or MovieFactory, neither of those programs enable you to create a playlist.

Here is how to create a playlist with DVD Workshop.
Firstly you may wish to see this tutorial on the Ulead Website
Menu Transition using Playlists

To create a playlist, we start with the [EDIT] screen. This is where you import all of the video titles that will be included onto your DVD. So that the [Playall] button will work as expected you need to arrange the videos across the bottom of the preview screen into the order that you wish them to be played. You can click on one of the video thumbnails and drag it left or right into the required position.

Here you can see
1. We are looking at the EDIT screen
2. We have selected the Video Tab
3. We drag our images from the library onto
4. Our Video Timeline in the sequence we would wish them to play
5. Our Chapter Thumbnails are down the right hand side of the screen.

We now move on to the [Menu] Screen
There are 3 ways to create a DVD Menu

1. From a blank screen
2. Using a template
3. Using a wizard

You can also alter the order of the videos with the tabs at the bottom of the [Menu]screen

1. Blank screen. Here you can simply drag the thumbnails onto the blank menu screen.
You can drag
a)The Chapter Thumbnails from the right hand side of the screen
b)The Video Thumbnails from the Video Tab at the bottom of the screen.

2. Using a Template. This will create ONE single DVD Menu Screen with the various Thumbnail placeholders in position ready for you to drag the thumbnails into them.

3. The wizard will create as many Menu Pages as are required and will also populate the thumbnail holders with the various video/chapter thumbnails.

If you select a button and then check its playlist you will see something like this example

Here I have chosen a button from the menu that the Menu-wizard automatically named
Menu-01. This is a chapter menu. You can see that clicking this thumbnail will start the video named 'Butlins' to start playing from Chapter 1. It will continue to play to the end of the video named 'Butlins' and then will return to the Chapter Menu named Menu-01.

If I want to return to the main menu instead of returning the the Chapter Menu at the end of play, I can alter the playlist. To do this I can drag the Main Menu (Named by the wizard simply as 'Menu') up to the playlist.

Using this same method we can create a custom playlist
Lets suppose I want a button that will play from the following Main Menu the videos named
Butlins and then Entertainment and then finish off with the Chapter Menu for Portsmouth.

Last edited by sjj1805 on Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sjj1805
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10 Pro
motherboard: Hewlett Packard 2AF7
system_drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: 2-90 gigahertz Intel Core i5 4460S
ram: 8 GB
video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 705
sound card: P40D100-4 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 8 TB

Post by sjj1805 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:37 pm

The first thing I do is to type some text onto the screen -
You can of course use an image or one of the thumbnails but the procedure will be the same though it is a little easier to show if I use some simple text.

Now drag up onto the text the thumbnail of the video named Butlins
You will now see that this 'Text' has been turned into a button and has a playlist

Now drag our next video 'Entertainment' onto the playlist

Now to finish off our project drag the Chapter Menu Thumbnail relating to 'Portsmouth' onto the playlist.