32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: 2-90 gigahertz Intel Core i5 4460S
ram: 8 GB
video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 705
sound card: P40D100-4 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 8 TB

DVD Workshop 2 and MenuEdit

Post by sjj1805 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:58 pm

I regularly use MenuEdit in my Home Made DVD Menus.
http://www.dimadsoft.com/menuedit/
There is a free version but I cannot recall what is disabled as I have had the paid version for 12 months now. The cost is $16.50 (USD) which at the current exchange rate is 9.50 (GBP)
One of my favourite tricks is to create a DVD Menu in DVD Workshop 2 with motion buttons. Below the button I place text which could be as simple as \"Chapter 1\", \"Chapter 2\" etc. You could if you wish replace text with a small oblong block of colour or a picture of some sort - like the button highlight pictures.

Drag the start of a chapter onto the text. Drag one of the other chapters onto the motion button.

In the above example you can see on the right that Chapter 1 looks a bit yuck and it probably contains the opening credits etc which we don't want to see on our thumbnail.
I have dragged chapter 2 onto the thumbnail, but I have dragged Chapter 1 onto the text below.

If you want a scene select menu then the easy workaround is to create an extra Chapter during the edit stage which will not be used on your scene selection menu.

Now create your DVD as usual but burn to a Hard Drive Folder.

Now look at the Hard Drive folder and you will see that your DVD is made up of VOB, BUP and IFO Files.

Now as a safety measure in case you make a mistake copy Video_TS.VOB into a temporary folder so that you can always start again.

Start MenuEdit and press the Open button then navigate to your DVD files.
And select Video_TS.VOB

You will see a number of entries Vob ID = 1 etc click the + to expand the tree and you will see if this tree contains buttons. The example above shows there are 9 buttons in Vob ID 1

Now click the Edit/Preview button and your menu appears

To delete one of the buttons click it (I have clicked the top left button in this picture)
Now click the Delete button at bottom left of screen
A pop up box appears

select Remove from menu.
What this does is leaves the video intact but it no longer functions as a button and cannot be selected.
Repeat for the remaining motion buttons.
I now find it safer to save the changes at this point before proceeding to the next step

Go back into the Menu

You can now alter the Navigation of the buttons

At the bottom left of the screen select a button number to edit. A pop up box appears.
The area marked Adjacent buttons shows which button will be selected when the user presses left, right, up, down on their remote control. Simply replace the number with the required button number.

When finished, press OK. Open the DVD in a viewer such as
PowerDVD
Nero Showtime
Ulead DVD Player
And check that it works as you intended.