MF5/ VS9 /VS10: Share Menus, Transitions between products

Tutorials using more than one Product

Moderator: sjj1805

Administrator
Site Admin

MF5/ VS9 /VS10: Share Menus, Transitions between products

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:42 am

Various Tweaks to VideoStudio & MF5

The procedure for this first part is the same for version 9 and version 10.
I will show screen shots from Version 10 but these steps are the same for version 9.

When you capture video or when you render a video file or an audio file a thumbnail is then placed into the library. Unless you have created a separate library for these thumbnails, or, even if you have created a separate library but haven't selected it before making a capture or render, then those thumbnails will go into the default thumbnail folders.

Currently these default thumbnail folders already contain sample clips installed via the initial installation program and bonus pack.
I therefore prefer to create a new library folder for those sample clips and move them, thus keeping the default libraries empty. This makes it easier to locate your own clips.

Click the small box to the right of the library

At the bottom you will see \"Library Manager\" Click this and you will see a pop up box appear

Click New and another popup box appears. In here enter \"Ulead Samples\"

Now click the drop down box shown in this next picture and select Audio

Create a new Audio folder again named \"Ulead Samples\"
Our next task is to move our samples into these new folders.

Select the First Video thumbnail by clicking it once. Hold down the shift key and now click the last Video thumbnail. This will select all of the thumbnails.

Now right click and a list appears. Select \"Copy\"

From the Library manager drop down list select your newly created folder Ulead Samples

Now right click and select Paste

Your thumbnails now appear in your new Ulead Samples folder.
Now select the original \"Video Folder\". Again select all the thumbnails by clicking the first one, holding down the shift key and clicking the last one.
Now Right click and select \"Delete.\"

Now we must repeat this procedure for our sample audio files.
From the Library manager Drop down list select
Audio | Audio

To move your Audio clips simply repeat the same procedure used for moving your video clips.

Now repeat this process again to create a \"Ulead Samples\" folder for the 'Image' library.

It is also good practice when starting a new project to create new video/audio libraries specifically for that project. This will keep them separate from any other projects, especially if like me you work on more than one project at a time. When a project is no longer required you can quickly delete the thumbnails by simply deleting that library. An example of [working on more than one project at a time] was a two-week holiday on a cruise ship. Each day our ship would dock at a different port.
I would use a fresh camcorder tape each day. I would then transfer the tape for that day into a separate library folder suitably named e.g. Rome, Barcelona, Pompeii etc. and treat each day as a separate project.

Transitions
A popular query raised on the User forum relates to the use of Transitions from earlier versions.
Version 9 has 3 categories of Mask Transition
Mask A with 21 Transitions
Mask B with 9 Transitions
Mask C with 18 Transitions.
Total 48 Mask Transitions.

Version 10 has a single Mask Category with transitions named
MaskA to MaskA6 (7)
MaskB to MaskB6 (7)
MaskC to MaskC6 (7)
MaskD to MaskD6 (7)
MaskE to MaskE6 (7)
MaskF to MaskF6 (7)
Total 49 Transitions.

The remaining Categories are labelled the same and in most case have the same number of transitions:
The most noticeable change is the reduction of the number of album transitions from 15 to 7. Having said this it must be pointed out that there were several complaints from users regarding the album transitions and so this may be a deliberate move by Ulead to remove troublesome ones.

The number of transitions in each category and also a comparison of the album transitions in version 9 (on the left) and version 10 (along the bottom) can be seen below. It should also be noted that the Albums transitions in Version 10 have the same names as Version 9 but the transitions are different.
For example compare Flip2 of both versions.

It is therefore my recommendation NOT to import version 9 transitions into version 10 as there is very little to be gained and indeed it may also prove to be counter productive and introduce problems at a later date.

You can increase your collection of transitions by downloading a large collection of free ones supplied by Forum Member Stefan Burger here:
http://www.burgers-transition-site.de/

If that isn't sufficient you can purchase more from the Ulead Website here:
http://www.ulead.com/products/partner.htm

Navigation Buttons, Menus, Layouts and other assets

If you were to go to the DVD authoring stage Menu Selection Screen and click the Edit Tab.
Then the customize button.
Now from the drop down list \"Navigation button.\"
You will see various navigation buttons but they are nearly all black and white. Two are other colours and are named N006 and N009. That does not give you much choice of style and colour.

You can import some more buttons from VideoStudio9 into Version 10.
Firstly navigate to
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 9.0\\Template\\4_3\\Customize\\Navigation Button

Select all of the files in this folder and copy them to a temporary folder.
Now to avoid naming conflicts with Version 10 rename those files e.g.
v9001.ufo
v9002.ufo
v9010.ufo

An excellent FREE tool to quickly rename your files is [The Rename] and can be found here.

Copy these renamed files and paste into
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 10\\Content\\Menu Template\\4x3\\Customize\\Navigation Button

Restart VideoStudio10 and you will find these extra buttons including brown ones, orange ones, yellow ones, pinkish ones etc.

Further comparisons of VS9 content to VS10+

Lets look a bit deeper at the different content provided between the two versions so that we can identify what is worth importing into VS10.

Firstly we will copy all those missing DVD Menus into Version 10.
This is a simple task that only takes a matter of a few seconds.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 9.0\\Template\\4_3
Select the following to folders as shown in the below picture and then
Edit | Copy

Now navigate to
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 10\\Content\\Menu Template\\4x3
Then Edit | Paste

Now repeat this process to copy the 16.9 Menus by copying from
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 9.0\\Template\\16_9
To
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 10\\Content\\Menu Template\\16x9

Open VideoStudio 10 and you will now find these extra menus are in your DVD Menu Library.

We have also prepared the ground for our next task the extra layout templates.

Select all of the contents of this folder
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 10\\Content\\Menu Template\\4x3\\Customize\\Layout
Cut and paste them into this folder
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 10\\Content\\Menu Template\\4x3\\Customize\\Scene Selection Layout

Now repeat the process for the 16.9 Layouts.
Cut and paste the contents of this folder:
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 10\\Content\\Menu Template\\16x9\\Customize\\Layout
Into this folder
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 10\\Content\\Menu Template\\16x9\\Customize\\Scene Selection Layout

This will of course create a few duplicate layouts but I think we can live with that.

Our next Task is to import the additional
Objects / Masks /Frames.

Importing Objects.
Select \"Object\" in the library and then click the Open button

and now navigate to
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 9.0\\Samples\\Decoration

And select all of the files named D01.PNG to D31.PNG and click the OPEN button.

OK this will import a few duplicate images but you can click the thumbnail of any you want to delete and press your Delete key. This only removes the thumbnail from the library, it does not remove the image from your hard drive.

Importing Frames
Select \"Frame\" in the library and then click the Open Button.

and now navigate to
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 9.0\\Samples\\Decoration

And select all of the files named F01.PNG to F15.PNG and click the OPEN button.

Importing Flash Animations
Select \"Flash Animation\" in the library and click the Open Button

and now navigate to
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 9.0\\Samples\\Video

And select all of the files with a swf extension and click the OPEN button.

A dialog box will appear \"Change Clip Sequence\" simply press OK

An Extra 4 Smartscene Menus
If you are lucky enough to own a copy of DVD MovieFactory 5 we can also add an extra 4 Smartscene Menus to our collection.

From our comparison screen we can see an identical Menu and so we do not need to copy from MovieFactory the menu named
05_OneS01

Before doing any of the following it is strongly advised to create back up copies of the following directories and contents on the off chance that you make an error following these steps. You will then be able to revert things back to the way they were:
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5\\Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5\\Content\\Menu Template\\4x3\\One Scene Button
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5\\Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5\\Content\\Menu Template\\16x9\\One Scene Button
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 10\\Content\\Menu Template\\4x3\\One Scene Button
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 10\\Content\\Menu Template\\16x9\\One Scene Button

This will also be a two way process - we shall also copy our VS10 Smartscene Menus into MF5.

Copy the 4.3 smartscene menus navigate to
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5\\Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5\\Content\\Menu Template\\4x3\\One Scene Button
and now delete the following two files relating to the duplicated menu
05_OneS01.ufo
05_OneS01_MS.ini

Next select all of the files in that folder and copy
Navigate to
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 10\\Content\\Menu Template\\4x3\\One Scene Button
and paste.
It will ask if you wish to overwrite a file named setting.ini simply select Yes.

Now select all of the files in this folder and copy
Navigate to
and select paste. It will ask you if you wish to overwrite the existing files - select yes to all.

We must now repeat this process for the 16.9 smartscene menus.
navigate to
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5\\Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5\\Content\\Menu Template\\16x9\\One Scene Button
and now delete the following two files relating to the duplicated menu
05_OneS01_W.ufo
05_OneS01_W_MS.ini

Next select all of the files in that folder and copy
Navigate to
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 10\\Content\\Menu Template\\16x9\\One Scene Button
and paste.
It will ask if you wish to overwrite a file named setting.ini simply select Yes.

Now select all of the files in this folder and copy
Navigate to
and select paste. It will ask you if you wish to overwrite the existing files - select yes to all.

Want more? Make your own Menus from Scratch

For this you will need PhotoImpact. I have written a separate Tutorial on how to create DVD Menu completely from scratch. Details are here:
http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtopic.php?t=11378
Last edited by Administrator on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:43 am

jutta@achimhaag.de-1"]Since I graded up from VS9 to VS10, your "cookbook" was very helpful, although I had to search some menu selections (german version).

But allow me two questions:

why couldn't ULEAD give us these parts of VS9 integrated into VS10 or as a separate installation package ?

Furthermore: nearly other software installation detects an older version and moves several configuration parameters and objects. Why could ULEAD not do this ?

:? :oops: :cry:

thanks, Achim

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:44 am

jutta@achimhaag.de-1 wrote:Furthermore: nearly other software installation detects an older version and moves several configuration parameters and objects. Why could ULEAD not do this ?
There is merit in this suggestion.

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:44 am

Perhaps the answer would be to have a single common folder in the
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems
folder heirarchy so that menus go into
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\menus
Transitions into
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\transitions
etc.

This way all your Ulead products would be \"singing from the same songsheet\"
So far I haven't had any problems with copy/paste these things from one product to another, just needs a bit of detective work to find the source/destination locations.

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:45 am

mzanchi wrote:great tweaks about vs10!!

Thanks

BUT i have some question about some task that i don't have ended successfully.

1. I copy audio/video sample from sample directory but in vs10 i don't see this one in list, What i can do?

2. How i can copy movie maker template from vs9 to vs10.
in vs9 i have many movie maker template and i would like to copy in vs10

Thanks
Marco.

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:45 am

The VS9 Sample Videos are located here:
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 9.0\\Samples\\Video\\

The VS9 Sample Audios files are here:
C:\\Program Files\\Ulead Systems\\Ulead VideoStudio 9.0\\Samples\\Audio\\

In VS10 you create new library folders for these files and then use use the \"Open\" button to import them in the same way that you imported the various 'Objects' as shown above.

Regarding the Wizard Style Templates.
These rely not just upon several files being in place in various sub-directories but also involved extensive editing of various 'ini' files.
I consider this to be too dangerous to tamper with which might cause VideoStudio to stop working and so I am unwilling to delve into any modifications of this type.