1 iceberg lettuce
500 g ground pork
2 garlic cloves
2 spring onions
1 stalk celery
1 (220 g) can water chestnuts
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Best to use pork mince with a low fat content 3% if you can get it.
- Slice the ginger (About 3cm peeled and sliced very finely).
- Slice the garlic very finely.
- Chop the spring onions.
- Dice the celery into very small cubes.
- Chop the water chestnuts, again into very small cubes. (5mm).
- Put the above ingredients to one side.
- Wash the lettuce, dry, and being careful not to tear the leaves, separate leaves keeping them whole. (You will need 4 leaves for four people as a starter).
- Pat dry and put to one side.
- In a small bowl mix together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, dry sherry and sugar. Do not leave out the sugar as it just won't be the same!
- Heat the sesame oil in a non-stick frying pan on high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and spring onions and fry until the garlic and ginger are aromatic.
- Add the minced pork and cook until the pork is browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the water chestnuts, and celery to the frying pan and cook over a medium heat.
- Then put the sauce mixture in the pan and stir.
- Then put the pork back in the pan and continue to cook at medium heat until sauce is reduced and mixture becomes dryer and the pork is browned.
- To Serve; Lay out a lettuce leaf and spoon a great big heap of the cooked mixture into the middle and fold into a wrap and eat immediately.