32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: 2-90 gigahertz Intel Core i5 4460S
ram: 8 GB
video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 705
sound card: P40D100-4 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 8 TB

08: PSP X2: Creating electric spikes around objects

Post by sjj1805 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:32 pm

Hello, everyone. My name is Thanos Siozos and I've been a long time user of Corel products esp. Videostudio and PSPX2. Now, it's time for a PSPX2 tutorial.

Well, I hear you say: Enough of the chit-chat. How can I electrify :D objects on my photos without paying a dime to the power company?

Do you mean something like this?
If yes, then follow these steps:

1. Load the image in PSP X2 (of course :D)

2. Duplicate the background layer and rename the duplicated layer to \"spikes\")

3. NOTICE: All subsequent effects are applied to the \"spikes\" layer.

4. Use the filter Edge effects/ Trace contour:

5. Use Image/Negative image.
CHECK POINT: Remember we do everything in the \"spikes\" layer. The background is left untouched. So far you should have something like this:

6. Use the brush tool with black color to brush out all unwanted edges. Use an appropriate brush and set Hardness low (around 30-50). Hopefully you'll get something like this:

7. Use the Effects/Edge Effects/Dilate filter. Use it twice (Ctrl-Y) if you want a more pronounced effect.

8. And now the best part: Use the Effects/Texture effects/fur filter to add the spikes. Suggested settings blur=26, density=70, length=8, transparency=118. Tweak these settings until it looks right:

9. Now we'll color the spikes with a blue tint to make it look more like cartoonish electrocution. With the \"spikes\" layer selected create a new layer group (Layers/New Layer Group...)

10. Set the group's blend mode to Screen

11. Inside the group and above the \"spikes\" layer add a Hue/Sat/Lightness adjustment layer. In the adjustment tab check the \"Colorize\" box and set saturation=73, hue=219, lightness=0.

12. Tada!!!! Your electrocuted image. As a final step paint with a black brush in the \"spikes\" layer to remove any spikes you don't like.

Good luck to everyone!

sjj1805
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10 Pro
motherboard: Hewlett Packard 2AF7
system_drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: 2-90 gigahertz Intel Core i5 4460S
ram: 8 GB
video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 705
sound card: P40D100-4 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 8 TB