32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: 2-90 gigahertz Intel Core i5 4460S
ram: 8 GB
video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 705
sound card: P40D100-4 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 8 TB

17: VS 11/11.5+ : Transparent Text Over Video

Post by sjj1805 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:40 pm

Corel VS 11/11.5 Plus: Creating Transparent Text Over Video.

In this tutorial you will learn another use for my \"secret\" power-tip, an ingenious way to use Mask & Chroma keying, how to change the speed of a video clip, and how to use the Border, Shadow, and Transparency attributes to alter text to create an imaginative effect.

Let's begin this project by creating our title.

Click on the Title Step tab and then double-click in the preview window.

We will want to use a font that has a nice, large face so that the video will be easily seen.

Use Gill Sans Ultra Bold as the Font Face and change the text size to 72.

Next drag the text, from the timeline, to the title library. This will allow us to use the text later on in the project.

Now save the current project by pressing CTRL+S

Name the project \"Transparent Text\" and select OK.

Next we'll start a new project by pressing CTRL +N.

Our first step is to add a clip to the Video Track that will act as our background video.

Choose the clip titled V21.

Next, click on Overlay Track 1 to activate it.

Then click the Insert Media Files icon, choose Insert Video and select Transparent Text.VSP. Notice how the project was inserted in Overlay Track 1 because we first activated it.

Now we will need to lengthen our Transparent Text clip so that it matches the end of our Video Track. If I you to drag the end of the clip, you'll notice that you can't change the length of the clip. This is because we only have about 3 seconds of video in our original clip.

Now watch what happens when if you press the SHIFT key while hovering the mouse over the yellow bar. The mouse changes from black to white. What this allows us to do is actually change the speed of our clip. If our clip were actual video instead of static text, we would notice that the video speed would dramatically slow down as we move the yellow bar to the right. This is a handy method to use if we want change the speed of our clip to match a certain point on our timeline. So let's change the speed of the clip by holding down the SHIFT key while click-dragging the yellow bar to match the end of the video track.

(NOTE: You can also SHIFT + click-drag the yellow bar to the left to increase the speed of a video clip)

Now right –click on the preview window and select Original Size.

Next, select Mask & Chroma Key; click the Apply Overlay Options checkbox, and then choose White as the color of the overlay mask. Notice how our text magically disappears!

For this particular project, I wanted to create more of an effect behind the text instead of actually seeing the video. So what we'll do now is add a video filter to the video track.

Go to the Gallery and select Video Filter.

Click-drag the Average Filter to the video track, and choose Customize Filter.

Drag the Cell size to about halfway.

Now right-click the first key-frame, which is the little red diamond and choose Copy and Paste To All, then click OK.

So far our project looks pretty good. But let's add an extra touch that will make the text stand out from the video. We want to achieve an effect that make it look like there's a shadow from the text being cast onto the video.

First, click –drag the text that we saved earlier to the Title Track. Increase the length of the text clip so that it matches the end of the video clip.

Next double-click on the Text Track so that the Edit Tab becomes active.

Now click on the Border/Shadow/Transparency icon.

Next, click on Transparent Text and Outer Stroke Border check boxes. Also, change the Border Width to 2.0 and change the Line Color to black.

Now click on the Shadow tab and click on the drop shadow icon.

Now we'll want to move the shadow so that it appears to be cast over our video.

Change the X value to -2.5 and the y value to 2.0. Also change the Drop Shadow Soft Edge value to 8 and click OK.

This was what the project looked like before.... and after we added the drop shadow effect.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Notice how these extra few steps added a feeling of depth to the effect. Well, that's it! If you'd like, render the project and watch this cool effect.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and that you learned a few things today that you can use in your future projects. Corel's VideoStudio has powerful features, including some \"secret\" ones, that can be used to create sophisticated effects. Have fun and be creative!

sjj1805
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10 Pro
motherboard: Hewlett Packard 2AF7
system_drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: 2-90 gigahertz Intel Core i5 4460S
ram: 8 GB
video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 705
sound card: P40D100-4 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 8 TB

Post by sjj1805 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:14 pm