Suse - Apache

Virtual PC and Virtual Box

Moderator: sjj1805

Suse

Suse - Apache

Post by Suse » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Open up YaST and go to \"Install and Remove Software\". For the package names, just search for Apache2 (it was the first hit when I did it). If the little box is checked, then it's installed. If not, just pop in your install CDs and get it that way.

Now, once you've gotten that installed, here's how to get it up and running. Back at the YaST main screen, click on \"System\". Then, towards the bottom, you should see, \"Runlevel Editor\". Go there. Once that loads, look for apache2. Click on the expert mode and select the runlevels for it. Then, towards the lower left, you'll see a drop-down button that says \"Start/Stop/Refresh\". Click on start now. Everything should be up and running now.

Suse

Post by Suse » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:21 pm

1. Install apache2 through YaST (plus prefork/worker dependencies) -- I usually don't do this from the Network Services --> HTTP Server setup, but just type \"apache2\" in the yast software management panel to find and install it
2. Make sure you start apache up (/etc/init.d/apache2 start) and then put a simple index.html file in your /srv/www/htdocs directory. Open it in a browser locally (http://localhost) and see if you can see it. (Remember if you want to access your pages from a machine other than the one you are on you need to enable HTTP traffic in your firewall settings).
3. Install PHP5 and the apache_php5 module (again from YaST software management)
4. If you want, add index.php to your apache conf file (DirectoryIndex index.html index.php index.html.var)
5. Restart apache (/etc/init.d/apache2 restart)
6. Put a simple test.php file (something like <?php phpinfo(); ?>) in your /srv/www/htdocs/ directory.
7. Open up your local browser again (http://localhost/test.php) and make sure apache serves that page correctly
8. Install mysql
through YaST software management and make sure it is running (/etc/init.d/mysql start)
9. Now go to phpmyadmin.net and download the latest phpMyAdmin tar file (I always get it from here because I have had numerous problems trying to install phpMyAdmin from YaST)
10. Install phpMyAdmin (basically untar in your /srv/www/htdocs/ directory and rename to \"phpMyAdmin\" or whatever you want)
11. Change your phpMyAdmin user and password settings and permissions to get rid of those security warnings
12. Restart apache again and access your localhost/phpMyAdmin page.

Well, that's about it. Once you get to that point I would recommend setting up your virtual hosts, etc...

Hope that helps.