32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: 2-90 gigahertz Intel Core i5 4460S
ram: 8 GB
video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 705
sound card: P40D100-4 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 8 TB

How to Install Frontpage Extensions on Vista

Post by sjj1805 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:20 am

Having used A Frontpage Web on my Home Intranet for a number of years using Windows XP, I recently bought a computer pre-installed with Vista Home Premium. I soon discovered that there are no options to install the FrontPage Server Extensions, leaving the only two ways to edit your Web site hosted on a Windows Vista computer:
  • Edit the Web site locally using the file system.
  • Use FTP to upload your files to the remote Windows Vista computer.

It took several searches of the internet and a lot of hair pulling to finally achieve my goal, to get a fully functional Frontpage Web installed on Vista that can be opened with Frontpage for editing from other computers on the network.

If you already have a Home Intranet that has been uploaded onto your Vista Computer - perhaps you have moved it from another machine or upgraded the one you now have Vista installed on - then you have to remove all the folders that begin with the name vti. Simply use the built in Windows Explorer \"Search\" function to find and delete them.

If you are starting from scratch then of course you will not have any of the above files on your system.

Next step is to install the Web Server on your system The Vista Web Server is IIS 7.

You do this by going to the Vista Control Panel - I find that the \"Classic View\" is the easiest to work with and then select Programs and Features.

The select Turn Windows Features on/off

Then expand Internet Information Services and tick
    II6 Management Compatibility
    II6 Management Console
    II6 Management Service

Press the [OK] button and Vista will install your web server.

Now you must install the Frontpage Extensions which are located here
    FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions for IIS 7.0
    After you have downloaded the FPSE 2002 installation package, you need to make sure that you install the FrontPage Server Extensions using full administrative permissions. Click the Windows Orb and in the Start Search box type cmd

Then right click the CMD Icon and \"Run as Administrator\"

In the CMD Box type
    msiexec /i <path to FPSE package>\\<name of FPSE package>.msi

In this example I placed my copy of the installation package in the root of \"C;\\\"

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/134/inst ... xtensions/

The installation process will only create the \"MSSharePointAppPool\" application pool and the FrontPage Server Administration Web site (also called the Microsoft SharePoint Administration Web site). Therefore no Web sites will have the FrontPage Server Extensions installed after you have completed the installation process. You must now go to the Windows Control Panel and select \"Administrative Tools\"

You will now see a new item has been added \"Microsoft Sharepoint Administrator\"

This will open up a page in your browser where you will see your web server listed and the option to \"extend\" - click this to install frontpage extensions to your server.

Now you have to add basic authentication to the Web Server and also anonymous authentication to the Web Server. Do this by opening
    Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager from the Control Panel

Set Basic and Anonymous Authentications

Last step:
    Open Windows Firewall so that other computers on the network are able to access and edit the Web Server.