List of Ingredients
- 100g/4oz soft margarine
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 175g/6oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 size 2 eggs
- 4tbsp milk
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- For the Crunchy Topping:
- juice of 1 lemon
- 100g/4oz caster or granulated Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Lightly grease and base line a 18cm/7in deep round cake tin with greased greaseproof paper.
- Measure all the ingredients for the cake into a large bowl and beat well for about 2 minutes until smooth and well blended. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the cake has shrunk slightly from the sides of the tin and springs back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Whilst the cake is baking, make the crunchy topping. Measure the lemon juice and sugar into a bowl and stir until blended. When the cake comes out of the oven, spread the lemon paste over the top whilst the cake is still hot. Leave in a tin until cold, then turn out and remove the paper.
If a soft cake has sunk disastrously in the middle, cut this out, fill with soft fruits and whipped cream, and serve as dessert.